As the UK’s most innovative fintech, we’re taking a mobile-first approach and r edefining what a bank should be. Using technology, we’re making things easier, transparent and better value for people and businesses.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the North East. Our team currently has 400 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic and self-aware people to join our teams in Durham and London and help us innovate and disrupt the market with our cutting-edge, digital banking solution.
Our tech journey
We’re investing millions in building the best banking machine in the world on Google’s Cloud Platform.
What else should you know…
Platform: We’ve taken the very best cloud native technologies and partnered them with contemporary data architecture to create a platform that we believe is the envy of the world.
Agile principles: Our move to GCP means we can fully embrace agile principles with autonomous teams, rapid release cycles and automated testing.
Innovation: Named by KPMG as one of the top ten Global FinTech innovators for four consecutive years, and with multiple projects funded by the UK science budget to bring great analytics and tech to banking, you can expect to be working on cutting-edge projects utilising machine learning and artificial intelligence to transform the way people and businesses do banking.
Want to join us?
Insight & Intelligence have responsibility for the management of Atom’s data from end to end, from sourcing and integration, right through to delivery of business reporting and predictive models.
As part of the Data Scientist Intern role there will be an opportunity to be involved in all parts of the life cycle within the wider team to support our dynamic business.
The role will give a rare opportunity to work with all functions within the bank, giving insight to a wide range of activities, working with external data and analytics suppliers where required. Furthermore, as the business grows, the requirements for analytics will expand significantly, providing opportunities to expand your own capabilities.
Please note, t he start date for the Internship is November 2020.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of our journey in building and running a bank we’ll encounter many risks along the way. In order to make sure the road doesn’t become too bumpy we expect everyone to make a conscious effort to proactively tackle and highlight any risks that we might face.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no two days the same in Atom):
- Developing and implementing various types of predictive models, segmentation strategies, optimisation algorithms and data mining analysis including:
- Supporting regulatory and compliance initiatives within risk such as IFRS9 & IRB models and stress testing
- Predictive models and analysis to drive pricing and liquidity management
- Credit Risk scorecards
- Simulation models to help optimise operational processes and quantify and manage operational risks.
- Delivering end-user solutions to enable customers to utilise predictive models to perform what-if analyses.
- Monitoring and maintaining models to ensure that they remain fit for purpose
- Providing peer review and challenge to analysis and models developed by other members of the team.
- Delivering predictive models that generate significant uplift in business performance and/or provide an enhanced customer experience.
- Delivering analysis to support key strategic projects
- Delivering analysis to support regular reporting requirements
- Delivering ad hoc analysis to provide key insight into business performance
What do we need from you?
- Degree in a numerate discipline (e.g. Maths/Statistics/Economics or similar) with a high degree of statistics.
- Sound understanding of one or more of the following modelling techniques – collaborative filtering, support vector machines, neural networks, linear and logistic regression, decision trees, random forests
- Experience of data analysis tools, such as R, tidyverse, dplyr, Python, SQL, SAS or similar
- Good working knowledge of MS Excel
- Good communication skills – able to present analysis at all levels of the business and to non-specialists
- A self-starter with excellent time management skills
What would we ideally like from you?
- Data visualisation with tools such as R Shiny, Tableau.
- Experience of delivering predictive models to support application or behavioural credit risk scoring, IRB, IFRS9, scorecards, pricing and price elasticity, or product propensity models.
- Knowledge of Scala programming language.
- Awareness of streaming technologies such as Apache Kafka
- Delivering analysis and/or reporting in a Financial services environment,
- Experience in dealing with large data sets
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Salary
- 12.4 days holiday + statutory days
- Flexible working in a creative environment
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom is unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
Atom is an equal opportunities employer.We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010…… click apply for full job details
Employment Type: Contract