Hours: 12 hours per shift worked on a rota of day and night shifts. Bank holidays will be normal working days dependant on the shift pattern. Payment for these days is included in the annual salary. The salary is based on a working year of 2340 hours which includes 12 days cover for colleagues’ annual leave.
Overtime: Additional hours to cover holiday and sickness absences of colleagues is payable at the standard hourly rate for the role. Annual Leave: The post holder is entitled to paid annual leave of 6 weeks (6 weeks of 4 days including an allowance for bank holidays) to fit in with the existing shift pattern.
Accountable to: The post holder reports to the Estates Manager/Deputy Estates Manager and then to the Bursar
Security at Chetham’s is a 24-hour, 7 days a week operation. To work as the Security Supervisor, taking responsibility for the team of Security Officers.
To lead on the provision of general security within the premises and grounds.
To provide at all times a courteous and professional concierge-type service to visitors, students and staff and the general public, both face to face and when dealing with telephone enquiries.
Duties and Responsibilities
* To work as a Security Supervisor on the shift rota, undertaking the provision of general security to the School premises and grounds throughout the year recording and logging all patrols
* Provide a courteous and professional comprehensive reception service to members of Chetham’s and the general public, giving assistance, directions, help and accurate advice
* Supervise the Security team in conjunction with the Estates Management team ensuring that all Security staff are also carrying out their duties with proper due diligence
* Manage the shift rota including holiday cover in conjunction with the Estates Management
* Responsible for managing and filling in for any staff absences that occur in the Security team
* Control the main entrance and manage access to the School at all times
* Operate and monitor the vehicle barrier and parking on the School Yard and Walkers Croft
* Issue passes to visitors, students and staff members
* Key management control
* Responsible for checking the Security diary and handover logs are being accurately completed, in conjunction with the Estates Management
* Manage the receipt and transfer of messages
* Patrol the external and internal buildings and grounds as instructed and record the procedures using an electronic recording device
* Open up and lock up buildings as directed
* Produce accurate reports of maintenance issues identified on patrol of the buildings and grounds
* Manage the switchboard out of office hours
* Monitor the CCTV system
* Operate the emergency fire and intruder alarms including setting and unsetting alarms as necessary, assisting in investigating reasons for alarm activations and informing staff of issues
* To be the first point of contact with the emergency services when on duty
* Record the weekly and ad hoc checks of the fire alarm stay put alarm checks, including the weekly checking of Refuge Position systems and Disabled Service alarms
* Remain calm and courteous when dealing with difficult people
* Use initiative and take responsibility in the absence of School management, particularly with regard to scheduled and unscheduled activities
* Provide emergency cover at short notice
* Comply with all health and safety procedures
* Undertake all training as required by the School
* Carry out any other duties as reasonably required by the School
The current normal shift pattern is as follows but may be changes as required by Chetham’s:
Day shift 0600 to 1800 = 12 hours
Night shift 1800 to 0600 = 12 hours
The current shift pattern is 4 shifts on and 4 shifts off, on a rota basis and will include more night shifts than day shifts. Where cover for holiday or other absences is required, the above shift pattern will be liable to change to ensure continuous Security coverage at all times.
* The annual salary is based on 48 hours per week, over an 8-day week, plus 144 hours per year to cover for colleagues’ annual leave (2340 hours per year).
* Security staff will work as requested by the Estates Management team with the overriding need to maintain the security service for 24 hours per day, 365 (366 in leap years) per year.
* When events such as concerts, Open Days etc are held, two Security staff may be required during the day shift. Chetham’s aims to have two staff on duty at night
Employment Type: Permanent